Published on May 1st, 2016 | by NA Central New Jersey0
Healthy salad recipes for Mother’s Day
Herbed Quinoa Tabbouleh
1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. mellow miso paste
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 bunch scallions, minced
1 bunch mint, minced
1 bunch parsley, minced
2 large seedless cucumbers, unpeeled and diced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1⁄4 cup pepitas [shelled pumpkin seeds]
Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together lemon juice, miso and olive oil.
- In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, scallions, mint, parsley, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with dressing, top with pumpkin seeds and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Beet and Lentil Citrus Salad
4 large red or yellow beets, washed and trimmed
1⁄2 cup beluga (black) lentils, rinsed [can used canned]
2 navel oranges, peeled and segmented 4 scallions, sliced on bias
4 cups frisee lettuce, rinsed and coarsely torn
2 Tbsp. shelled, unsalted raw pistachios, chopped
6 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. miso paste
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1⁄2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Wrap beets in aluminum foil and roast until tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Add lentils to medium sauce pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Drain and put in a bowl.
- Place all ingredients for dressing in mason jar and shake vigorously until combined.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, unwrap and, using a dry paper towel, “wipe” off skin. Cut into bite-sized wedges.
- In a large bowl, mix 1⁄2 vinaigrette with frisee.
- Top salad with beets, lentils, oranges, scallions, and pistachios.
- Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over salad.
Broccoli Currant Salad
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinaigrette
1 1⁄2 tablespoons EVOO
1 small garlic clove, pressed or minced 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Sea salt to taste
- Place steam rack in pot with enough water to reach bottom of rack. Add broccoli, bring to boil and steam until broccoli turns bright green. Remove and immediately rinse in cold water. Drain in colander.
- To make dressing, add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake vigorously.
- Mix together broccoli, red pepper, carrots, apple, sunflower seeds, red onion, currants.
- Top with dressing and combine until all ingredients are covered.
Recipes courtesy of Living Plate Nutrition Education and Counseling Center located in Far Hills, NJ. LivingPlate.com.